Professional Competences of Nursing in Spain
Valuing the work of Spanish nursing, we can ask:
· Can any nursing professional work in any area?
· Is the nursing performance evaluated?
· Is the professional development and training of the nurses recognised?
Is professional competence recognised?
At this point, it is essential to define the word “Competence”. It is the combination of necessary:
- Attitude, and
for successful occupation of a role or a particular job (Lyle M Spencer y Signe M Spencer 1993).
In Spain, the competence development is a right and an obligation of the nursing professionals. There are several laws that establish the obligation to prove the competence in the nursing work:
- Ley Ordenación Profesiones Sanitarias 44/2003: Titulo I. Del ejercicio de las profesiones sanitarias. Artículo 4.6:
- Ley 16/2003, de 28 de mayo, de cohesión y calidad del Sistema Nacional de Salud. Artículo 40 y Articulo 42. Desarrollo profesional.
It is essential the development of knowledge and skills through the Continuing Accredited Education.
Nursing is a profession in constant change and requires constant updating. It is necessary to:
• Promote the training of Nursing;
• Develop nursing skills;
• Define standards of clinical practice; and
• Minimize the variability in nursing practice and its adverse effects.
Elena Miguel Poza - Nurse, nursing coordinator & trainer - Enfermera coordinadora y profesora de enfermería - IMTRA Instituto Madrileño de Traumatologia (Madrid Spain)
Tel: (0034) 915545405 Email: email@example.com Web site in English: http://www.imtra.eu Web site in Spanish: www.imtra.biz